Latest News: The Great Trubulation

Jesus Arrest Warrent
Mavos
The pluckiest Christian on the board.

Group: Registered Plus
Jesus Arrest Warrent

Interesting I found this excerpt form the Talmud. It is essentially Jesus death warrant.

They hanged Yeshua of Nazareth on the Sabbath of the Passover. But for forty days before, a herald went in front of him crying, "Yeshua of Nazareth is to be stoned because he practiced sorcery and seduced Israel and lead them away from God. Anyone who can provide evidence on his behalf should come forward to defend him." When, however, nothing favorable about him was found, he was hanged on the Sabbath of the Passover. (Sanhedrin 43a)

Also, in 1972, Professor Schlomo Pines of the Hebrew University in Jerusalem announced his discovery of a manuscript of Josephus's writings in the tenth-century Melkite historian Agapius. This is important because it has long been known that the Greek version of his passage about Jesus was tampered with by Christians. This version was in Arabic and historians have said it reflects the original version, which reads as follows at Antiquities 18:63:

At this time there was a wise man called Jesus, and his conduct was good, and he was known to be virtuous. Many people among the Jews and the other nations became his disciples. Pilate condemned him to be crucified and to die. But those who had become his disciples did not abandon his discipleship. They reported that he had appeared to them three days after his crucifixion and that he was alive. Accordingly, he was perhaps the Messiah, concerning whom the prophets have reported wonders. And the tribe of the Christians, so named after him, has not disappeared to this day.

These two together are a powerful extra-biblical witness to the Gospels and their authenticity.

"I remember two things: That I am a great sinner, and that Christ is a great Saviour." - John Newton
06-28-2010 11:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Seraphim

Group: Registered
RE: Jesus Arrest Warrent

This is probably one of the most important posts on the cafe in some time. Excellent stuff!

06-30-2010 03:26 PM
Find all posts by this user
Interpretum
This Space For Rent

Group: Registered Plus
RE: Jesus Arrest Warrent

Thanks, Mavos.

Sometimes I wish we could find a "Dead Sea Scrolls" type stash of 1st century documents from people like Josephus. I read somewhere that the ruins of Pompeii, which was destroyed by a volcano in 79AD(?) may contain such a stash.

Have you ever read a book called the "Arkho Volume"? It claims to contain translations of a number of documents related to Jesus found in the Vatican library or at Constantinople, including Roman records such as Pilate's account of Jesus' sentence, written to Emperor Tiberius, and another of the high priest, justifying his decision to have Jesus put to death. (The end of that letter is amazing, and will probably bring a tear to your eye).

Skeptics claim they are made up, but I have to say, IF they're made up, they've very good. I like the letters of Hillel the elder, which talk about John the Baptist and the teachings of Peter, but from someone who really sounds like he was there... a Jewish skeptic, but since it appears they were written shortly after 70AD, one who was wrestling with what had just happened to his city and holy Temple, in the context of Jesus' teachings.

Naturally, I'd like to believe they're real... but am also aware of the human ability to make up stories. On the other hand, early Christians such as Justin (2nd century) DID actually refer his hearers to Roman documents that still existed... and we know the Vatican has a way of preserving things just as they are for loooong periods of time.

My Blog: The Prophetic Word

Latest post: Daniel 9 And The Seventy (70) Weeks - How Daniel's 70 weeks prophecy was fulfilled.
08-22-2010 08:42 PM
Find all posts by this user

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites