Latest News: The Great Trubulation

New edition of New World Translation - revised
Stephen
Bible Researcher

Group: Registered Plus
New edition of New World Translation - revised

Greetings all,

There's discussion on JWD about the new edition of the New World Translation (2006 printing) being a "revised edition." Some who have a copy have stated that the brackets, such as are found in the 1984 edition in passages such as Colossians 1:16-17: "because by means of him all [other] things were created in the heavens and upon the earth, the things visible and the things invisible, no matter whether they are thrones or lordships or governments or authorities. All [other] things have been created through him and for him. Also, he is before all [other] things and by means of him all [other] things were made to exist." The brackets are there for several reasons. The official reason the Society gives is that it helps complete the sense of the text and that the word in the bracket doesn't appear in the original. Other times there are some bracketed words that never should have been put there in the first place, but this is to complete the sense of the passage as understood by the Society itself, and not the original Word. :readthis:

One person posted on JWD: "They have removed all of the single brackets."

Most will remember the "Our Kingdom Ministry" that came out a while back letting members know that having their own websites, especially for the "independent" study of Greek and Hebrew was "not encouraged" (for example, no longer permitted).

If the brackets are truly removed, then the reader or student using the Jehovah's Witness/Watchtower Bible version, will have no way of knowing which words were inserted into the "original" and which ones actually belong there. All the reviews the Society has published from non-JW scholars would now be useless as those reviews would not be in reference to that version. If the brackets have been removed then it now becomes similar to the Living Bible which is nothing more than a paraphrase.

Another user on JWD said, "On page 4 (between the map and the foreword) alongside all the copyright info and stuff it says: 'Some mechanical adjustments have been made on this printing'"

We are waiting for scans of this. I have requested through a friend a copy of the Society's new paraphrased edition. :coffeeread: If anyone here has scans or are able to scan that part of Colossians and share it - that would be nice.

With Christian love,
Stephen

Kingdom Witness Online | tfjw.org - TFJWA
"Man only obeys blindly a faith adequate to its rational nature." -Michael Servetus.
"The endeavor to compel all men to think alike on all subjects, culminated in the great apostasy" (C.T. Russell)
06-14-2008 02:29 PM
Find all posts by this user
John

RE: New edition of New World Translation - revised

Stephen Wrote:
Another user on JWD said, "On page 4 (between the map and the foreword) alongside all the copyright info and stuff it says: 'Some mechanical adjustments have been made on this printing'"

Yes. I believe the reason a number of individuals are here is that they grew tired of the constant "mechanical adjustments" of the Watchtower Society. :borg:

"For God loved the world so much..."
06-15-2008 01:12 AM
Bangalore

John Wrote:

Stephen Wrote:

Yes. I believe the reason a number of individuals are here is that they grew tired of the constant "mechanical adjustments" of the Watchtower Society. :borg:

Don't forget the light bulb adjustments.

Warm Christian Love
Bangalore

"While producing people who were outwardly moral, they subverted the essential qualities of humility, compassion and mercy." - Raymond Franz
http://www.spiritualbrother.blogspot.com/
06-15-2008 03:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Stephen
Bible Researcher

Bangalore Wrote:

John Wrote:

Stephen Wrote:

Warm Christian Love
Bangalore

I read the replies here to my grandson and he just said, "Gran' pa', how many JWs does it take to screw in a new lightbulb?" :clap:

"Man only obeys blindly a faith adequate to its rational nature." -Michael Servetus.
"The endeavor to compel all men to think alike on all subjects, culminated in the great apostasy" (C.T. Russell)
06-15-2008 06:56 AM
Bangalore

Stephen Wrote:

Bangalore Wrote:

John Wrote:

Stephen Wrote:

Warm Christian Love
Bangalore

I read the replies here to my grandson and he just said, "Gran' pa', how many JWs does it take to screw in a new lightbulb?" :clap:

How many Jehovah's Witnesses does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. They all live in Brooklyn, and they have to keep changing it every day for "new light."

Three. One to screw in the bulb, and two to knock on your door and ask you if you've seen the light!

None. They're always getting "new light" from Brooklyn.

Warm Christian Love
Bangalore

"While producing people who were outwardly moral, they subverted the essential qualities of humility, compassion and mercy." - Raymond Franz
http://www.spiritualbrother.blogspot.com/
06-15-2008 07:12 AM
Stephen
Bible Researcher

Aurelius, from JWD, has provided some scans concerning the new "living" New World Translation.

Aurelius said, "I understand mechanical to cover changes like (type font; new/changed branch addresses; number of printed editions; printed languages; etc) You will observe form the scans of Colossians chapter 1 that the brackets have clearly been removed. This is just one example. The removal of brackets is consistent through-out the whole of this version. Interestingly the 'mechanical adjustments' version removes the 1984 version explanation for providing brackets!"

View scans provided by Aurelius ....I don't know of a way to attach these medium/large photos so I'm linking to them - hope that's ok......

Example 1 of Colossians brackets removed

Example 2 of Colossians brackets removed

As mentioned above, in previous versions of the NWT, certain words were added to the text according to JW doctrine but many were placed inside brackets so the student/reader would understand that the word wasn't a part of the original Hebrew/Greek text.

NOW, when someone picks up this "best translation in the world" that's "hailed by scholars the world over", he/she will never know what was there and what wasn't there.

06-17-2008 01:40 PM
man hu
Babe and any other piggy names

Group: Moderator

Some time back the WT shot itself in the foot.
Whomever they got to do the Greek Interlinear, actually knew Greek!

Obviously not Fred Franz then.

With the interlinear you can see the additions. My interlinear has things scribbled out all over the place.
Get yourself Interlinears, the Apostolic Bible (thank you Justin) and visit this site.

http://www.geocities.com/onlinebibletranslations/

Interlinears included.
All the translations you should need.

Filter feeding may be good for whales, but I prefer not to have the WT filter feed my food. You can keep your plankton to yourselves.

vicky

p.s. Westcott and Hort is not the best, you at least need a Nestle Alland update.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1sj2gQJIKI
06-17-2008 04:08 PM
e-magine
Disciple of Newness

HI Vick!! I was shocked to find out about this myself! :readthis:
And to think, this new edition has been out since 2006. Nobody at the KH has mentioned it. :huh: They go to the book counter,:whistle: get a new Bible, and in five years every fool will have one :funnyface:and not know the difference! :read:
Removing the (brackets) is more then a mechanical adjustment, it's a new motor with the old parts in the boot! :coffeeread:

Henry Ward Beecher-1872 Preacher of Plymouth Church, Brooklyn, in his home later bought by C.H. Russell.
He is looking at the Brooklyn Bridge,,,, is it the way into, or, out of Brooklyn for you?
06-17-2008 04:42 PM
Mavos
The pluckiest Christian on the board.

Hi all,

I haven't been on in a while because I'm working like 50+ hours a week and getting ready to move to my own apartment July 2nd. :thumbup:

Just wanted to comment briefly about what was quoted, is it true that the Society has said that the NWT is "hailed by scholars the world over" and "the best translation in the world"?

I find that incredibly arrogant if it is true that they said this. Most scholars say the best, most Literal and accurate English translation is the New American Standard Bible (1995 update). And the NWT is hailed by scholars over the world, as being one of the WORST!!

The removal of the brackets is just another attempt to change a verse that would otherwise indicate the proper preeminent place of our Lord Jesus.

Thanks,

Matt[/b]

"I remember two things: That I am a great sinner, and that Christ is a great Saviour." - John Newton
06-20-2008 05:10 PM
Stephen
Bible Researcher

Hi Matt,

The Society has a history of misquoting scholars and others in their publications, as you probably know.

Here's an interesting site with tables showing comparisons side by side as to "What the Scholars Really Said" :coffeeread:

There's lots of information on that site.

With Christian love,
Stephen :read:

06-20-2008 05:38 PM
Stephen
Bible Researcher

Good afternoon all,

Today I found this article that might be interesting to others here. "Translation or Mis-Translation" http://www.pnc.com.au/~fichrist/nwt.html

With Christian love,

06-21-2008 02:35 PM
man hu
Babe and any other piggy names

Group: Moderator

Stephen Wrote:
Hi Matt,

The Society has a history of misquoting scholars and others in their publications, as you probably know.

Here's an interesting site with tables showing comparisons side by side as to "What the Scholars Really Said" :coffeeread:

There's lots of information on that site.

With Christian love,

We have covered many times how the NWT poorly translates John 1:1.

http://www.paradisecafediscussions.net/s...p?tid=2449
http://www.paradisecafediscussions.net/s...p?tid=3291

My love for the father and son is increased by understanding the scriptures without fear of treading on doctrinal toes.

I need to do more research on the holy spirit. I feel it is also essence of Jehovah/Jesus, in a form we can imbibe. It puts some of their personality in us: We must allow it in, to do its work: Not reject it, or really reject it, i.e, grieve it.
OK, I'm probably talking twaddle, but I am talking from sentient feelings not fired up neurons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1sj2gQJIKI
06-21-2008 03:58 PM

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites