Latest News: The Great Trubulation

Are all Christians "the Anointed?"
JWHVACR
Older Man

Group: Registered Plus
Are all Christians "the Anointed?"

I received the following letter yesterday:

“ALL Christians are anointed as the verses below indicate. Since each Christian [meaning “anointed”] belongs to a holy priesthood then each one is anointed. [1 Peter 1:9] Such priests and prophets of ancient Israel were also called anointed. [Psalm 18:20; 20:6; 28:8; 105:15] Even Persian king Cyrus was called anointed.”

Is this true… are ALL Christians anointed?

It’s amazing how many times we find the word “anointed” in the O.T. For there it speaks repeatedly of the priests and kings being anointed. However, except for speaking of Jesus as “the Anointed” (or Christ), there are only two places in the N.T. where it speaks of Christians a being anointed… which is strange if we are all anointed.

The first of these is the words of Paul as written at 2 Corinthians 1:21, 22, where we read: “The One who guarantees that we all belong to the Anointed One (and He who anointed us) is God. He has put His seal [of approval] on us and He gave us a pledge, [His] Breath (or Spirit) that’s in our hearts.”

Notice that these Christians were truly spoken of as being anointed, the proof of which came from Gods’ Spirit that was in their hearts.

The second reference is found at 1 John 2:26, 27, which reads: “I’m writing this to you [to warn you] about those who are trying to lead you in the wrong direction. I realize that you don’t need anyone to be teaching you, since the anointing that you received from him is still in you. His anointing is teaching you about everything. It’s true and it doesn’t lie. So, just as it taught you, remain in unity with him.”

Again, this scripture indicates that all the Christians to whom John was writing were anointed. But, does this mean that all Christians are anointed?

Realize that there are millions both today and in the past who have claimed to be Christians. So, can we say that all were anointed? And if you say no, and say that this anointing only applies to TRUE Christians, then what standards have we set to determine who truly qualifies as a true Christian… and who authorized us to set those standards?

It seems highly presumptuous to me for individuals to claim that they have been anointed by God, for God places a high value on humility. And Jesus warned at Matthew 24:23, 24 “Then, if anyone should say, {Look!} Here or there is the Anointed, don’t believe it. Because, false anointed (gr. pseudo christoi) and false prophets (pseudo prophetai) will arise, and they’ll perform great omens, and signs to mislead (if possible) the elected.”

So, we were warned that in the last days people would falsely claim to be the anointed, and that they would be guilty of trying to mislead even the truly elected (true anointed?).

If you research the word anointed (gr. christoi), you’ll find that in the O.T., the kings, prophets, and priests that God chose were all anointed by having sacred anointing oil poured over their heads. And although all of the tribe of Levi was spoken of as being anointed, only those of the lines of Moses and Aaron (those who could enter the Sacred Tent) were actually anointed with oil, and were referred to as “the anointed priests.”

And Cyrus was in fact spoken of as having been anointed by Jehovah, but there is no indication that oil was poured on his head, thus anointing must in some cases just refer to being consecrated for service. So, apparently there is more than one type of anointing.

Jesus, for example, was truly anointed when God’s Breath (Spirit) was poured out on him after his baptism. And despite all the arguments to the contrary, that’s when he became “the Christ,” because Christ just means “the Anointed,” and he could not truly be called that until after God proved that He chose and anointed him.

So, if we are all anointed, can we truly say that we are all Anointed and Christs in the manner of Jesus? If not, then we are admitting that there is more than one type of anointing. And if we claim that we are, aren’t we being a bit presumptuous?

There are scriptures that speak of Christians holding sacred offices that require an anointing by God. For example, note the following:

Rev 1:5, 6 “[He’s] the one that loves us, who freed us from our sins by his own blood, and who made us to be a Kingdom of Priests to his God and Father.”

Rev 5:9, 10 “And you bought people for God with your blood,
From every tribe, language, ethnic group, and country.
Then you made them rulers and Priests to our God,
And they’ll rule as kings on the earth
.”

Rev 20:4 “Next, I saw thrones. And those who sat down on them were the ones who were executed with axes for testifying about Jesus and for telling about God, and who hadn’t worshiped the wild animal or its image, and who hadn’t received the mark on their foreheads and on their hands. Then they were appointed judges, and they came to life and ruled as kings with the Anointed One for a thousand years.”

Rev 20:6 “Those that have a part in the first resurrection are blest and holy, because the second death doesn’t have any power over them. They will be Priests of God and the Anointed One, and they will rule with him for the thousand years.”

So, the question raised here is: Are the kings and priests being spoken of here just those who were chosen and anointed by God for life in heaven, or does it also imply those priests (such as the rest of the tribe of Levi) who were anointed, but not literally anointed with oil?

There are those who claim that God’s Spirit has born witness with their spirit that they are the anointed, and so they proudly claim to be such. However, is the scripture they reference (Romans 8:12-17) truly speaking of the anointed? Perhaps, for notice what Paul wrote there:

“So brothers, while we’re in the flesh it’s our duty not to follow the ways of the flesh, for if we follow fleshly ways we’ll be [counted among] the dead. So, we must use [God’s] Breath to kill the practices of the body, so we can have life. For, all who are led by God’s Breath are God’s sons.

“You didn’t receive His Breath to make yourselves slaves to fear again, for when you received it, it adopted you as His sons. So, it’s by this Breath that we can call out, ‘Papa… Father!’ It’s the same Breath that testifies to the spirit within us that we’re God’s children. So, if we’re [His] children, we’re also [His] heirs. Yes, heirs of God and heirs with the Anointed One. However, we’ll have to suffer together so we can be glorified together.”

Notice that I haven’t drawn any conclusions.

"Our minds don't control our beliefs, our beliefs control our minds."
"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking."
"Buying into someone's religious, philosophical, or political teachings is the point where you've decided to allow them to do your thinking for you."
05-15-2007 08:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Artcritic

RE: Are all Christians "the Anointed?"

Hi Bro JWH
This is very good reasoning and I hope I can add a little to your post

25 “Then the kingdom of the heavens will become like ten virgins that took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. 2 Five of them were foolish, and five were discreet. 3 For the foolish took their lamps but took no oil with them, 4 whereas the discreet took oil in their receptacles with their lamps. 5 While the bridegroom was delaying, they all nodded and went to sleep. 6 Right in the middle of the night there arose a cry, ‘Here is the bridegroom! Be on YOUR way out to meet him.’ 7 Then all those virgins rose and put their lamps in order. 8 The foolish said to the discreet, ‘Give us some of YOUR oil, because our lamps are about to go out.’ 9 The discreet answered with the words, ‘Perhaps there may not be quite enough for us and YOU. Be on YOUR way, instead, to those who sell it and buy for yourselves.’ 10 While they were going off to buy, the bridegroom arrived, and the virgins that were ready went in with him to the marriage feast; and the door was shut. 11 Afterwards the rest of the virgins also came, saying, ‘Sir, sir, open to us!’ 12 In answer he said, ‘I tell YOU the truth, I do not know YOU.’

M 25:
So according to Mt 25 all Christians  “nodded and went to sleep” This would apply to all Christians from 33ce to our day.  So if this scr can apply to all Christians who are the ten virgin class then they also must be anointed.  To illustrate, the ministry of defence has set up a system whereby a person desiring to be solider can join the cadets.  Is he a solider?  No, but he can train to be what is in his heart.  In like manner those desiring this appointment as a king in the future have to go through their training.  

This anointing as a Christian is only perspective.  I feel their will be a second anointing and this will happen when Jesus comes as the bridegroom just before Armageddon.  Then faithful true Christians will be revealed and they will receive an anointing and sealing at the same time. Rev7: 7
7 After this I saw four angels standing upon the four corners of the earth, holding tight the four winds of the earth, that no wind might blow upon the earth or upon the sea or upon any tree. 2 And I saw another angel ascending from the sunrising, having a seal of [the] living God; and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels to whom it was granted to harm the earth and the sea, 3 saying: “Do not harm the earth or the sea or the trees, until after we have sealed the slaves of our God in their foreheads.  

This sealing could be an anointing with holy spirit a second anointing.

05-15-2007 10:29 AM
Find all posts by this user
JWHVACR
Older Man

I agree. Surely there must be a greater anointing as manifest by a greater outpouring of Spirit.

"Buying into someone's religious, philosophical, or political teachings is the point where you've decided to allow them to do your thinking for you."
05-15-2007 10:38 AM
gus
-------------------------

Maybe a better question would be: Are all those who claim to be Christian really Christians?

Christianity, as I understand it, is a way of life and thinking, not a religion...or group of religions. People join groups for a variety of reasons, the foremost of which are entirely selfish. I don't think that gels with a truly Christian mind-set. In response to that market are groups of religions that create the "need" for people to:

1. be "saved"
2. be socially acceptable
3. hold some position of influence

Religion is perfectly suited to the ego-driven. Is that "Christian"? Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that altruism doesn't exist within religious groups. What I'm saying is that, generally speaking, religion doesn't exist for its members as much as its members exist for religion. People within religions are very altruistic when it serves their purpose to be nice:

1. I must be nice in order to get "saved"
2. I must be nice to be accepted socially in my group
3. And, if I'm really nice, I can claim to be "anointed."

Most of religion is superficially sickening. It doesn't fix anything, but continues to promote man's fears, his false nature, and his wrong inclinations by slapping another coat of whitewash on tombs full of dead men's bones. You are either Christian, or you are not. You either accept the power of salvation in the ransom, or you do not. You either find a group of like-minded believers, or you do not. What a person calls himself doesn't matter just like what he does doesn't matter. It's who he or she is in God's eyes that matters. If He finds you worthy, for whatever reason (but most probably your humility), you will be blessed. Those blessings, whatever they are, are unimaginably wonderful (or so I'm led to believe). Whether they are here, there, or wherever, I don't like to spoil the surprise.

gus

05-15-2007 11:07 AM
smoldering wick
ratio est radius divini luminus

Group: Moderator

My dear brother JWHVACR, You have raised more questions than could possibly be answered in one thread. In fact my mind is simply turning to mush over the translation which treats “Christ” and “anointed” synonymously (a translation that I presume you had a hand in? Or am I being presumptuous)

I like the way you’ve handled this. As you say, you’ve not raised any conclusions—just questions. And you’ve done so with all humility, pointing out where many are being presumptuous in their claims. There is a rumour amongst many of Jehovah’s Witnesses that the true number of anointed is only a couple of hundred and that the 8,000 plus partakers are not as they say. Well, as you say—Who knows??

JWHVACR Wrote:
Realize that there are millions both today and in the past who have claimed to be Christians. So, can we say that all were anointed? And if you say no, and say that this anointing only applies to TRUE Christians, then what standards have we set to determine who truly qualifies as a true Christian… and who authorized us to set those standards?

As I read the quoted scriptures, a million reference points burst forth and I became temporarily lost in my confusion. Then it dawned on me. I too had been presumptuous for accepting the presumption of a society who as Gus stated, turns the revelation of God and Christ (or Anointed) into a religion, which then defeats the entire operation of the spirit (or breath.)

JWHVACR Wrote:
It seems highly presumptuous to me for individuals to claim that they have been anointed by God, for God places a high value on humility. And Jesus warned at Matthew 24:23, 24 “Then, if anyone should say, {Look!} Here or there is the Anointed, don’t believe it. Because, false anointed (gr. pseudo christoi) and false prophets (pseudo prophetai) will arise, and they’ll perform great omens, and signs to mislead (if possible) the elected.”

I will add one question which is raised by this particular quote made clear by substituting “Christ” with “anointed.” If “anointed” is used in this instance, might that indicate that a search is being conducted by those being drawn by the true Christ? A search that would result in Jesus asking the yet-to-be-answered next question? (I use Luke's account for greater clarity)

“Who really is the faithful steward, the discreet one, whom his master will appoint over his body of attendants to keep giving them their measure of food supplies at the proper time? Happy is that slave, if his master on arriving finds him doing so! I tell YOU truthfully, He will appoint him over all his belongings.  But if ever that slave should say in his heart, ‘My master delays coming,’ and should start to beat the menservants and the maidservants, and to eat and drink and get drunk, the master of that slave will come on a day that he is not expecting [him] and in an hour that he does not know, and he will punish him with the greatest severity and assign him a part with the unfaithful ones. Then that slave that understood the will of his master but did not get ready or do in line with his will will be beaten with many strokes. But the one that did not understand and so did things deserving of strokes will be beaten with few. Indeed, everyone to whom much was given, much will be demanded of him; and the one whom people put in charge of much, they will demand more than usual of him." (Luke 12:42-48)

Notice too that the scriptures don’t seem to provide a conclusion to this either. But I add to your concern, JWHVACR, there are many presumptuous out there who are desiring for whatever reasons to be among the "anointed" but who have no idea what they are doing by so presuming on the spirit (or breath). And we know what Samuel said to Saul about that.

“Look! To obey is better than a sacrifice, to pay attention than the fat of rams; for rebelliousness is the same as the sin of divination, and pushing ahead presumptuously the same as [using] uncanny power and teraphim.” (1 Samuel 15:22-23)

Affection,

sw

"What cannot be understood is no object of belief.” Isaac Newton.
----------------------------------------------------------------
"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false face for the urge to rule it.” H. L. Mencken
05-15-2007 01:04 PM
JWHVACR
Older Man

smoldering wick Wrote:
I will add one question which is raised by this particular quote made clear by substituting “Christ” with “anointed.” If “anointed” is used in this instance, might that indicate that a search is being conducted by those being drawn by the true Christ? A search that would result in Jesus asking the yet-to-be-answered next question? (I use Luke's account for greater clarity)

Recognize that Christ is a word that was made up by translators. Actually, it's an Anglicism of a Greek word that means (and should always be translated as) Anointed. So, Christ is a misleading special-circumstance translation of a word that's used by translators to indicate that they think the scripture is speaking about Jesus... which isn't true in this case.

However, if you prefer to see the words Christos and Christon translated as Christ and Christs (as many do), then 2 Corinthians 1:21, 22, should read: “The One who guarantees that we all belong to the Christ (and He who made us christs) is God. He has put His seal [of approval] on us and He gave us a pledge, [His] Breath (or Spirit) that’s in our hearts.”

Also, Saul, David, Solomon, Aaron, etc., were all christs according to the Septuagint.

This is why I cringe when I hear brothers use the title Christ as a substitute for the name Jesus.

05-15-2007 01:25 PM
smoldering wick
ratio est radius divini luminus

Group: Moderator

JWHVACR Wrote:
However, if you prefer to see the words Christos and Christon translated as Christ and Christs (as many do), then 2 Corinthians 1:21, 22, should read: “The One who guarantees that we all belong to the Christ (and He who made us christs) is God. He has put His seal [of approval] on us and He gave us a pledge, [His] Breath (or Spirit) that’s in our hearts.”

Also, Saul, David, Solomon, Aaron, etc., were all christs according to the Septuagint.

This is why I cringe when I hear brothers use the title Christ as a substitute for the name Jesus.

And so I too cringe when I know something that others don't but then bite my tongue not to reveal it for fear that the collective majority trained by religiosity might cringe at me. As the scriptures so indicate, there is not a religion that can reveal such things, "For it is to us God has revealed them through his spirit, for the spirit searches into all things, even the deep things of God." (1 Corinthians 2:10)

Thank you, brother, for leading by question and not conclusion. We will all see it in due time.

sw

"What cannot be understood is no object of belief.” Isaac Newton.
----------------------------------------------------------------
"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false face for the urge to rule it.” H. L. Mencken
05-15-2007 02:15 PM
Measurer

Hi SW,

You said, “And you’ve done so with all humility, pointing out where many are being presumptuous in their claims. There is a rumour amongst many of Jehovah’s Witnesses that the true number of anointed is only a couple of hundred and that the 8,000 plus partakers are not as they say. Well, as you say—Who knows?”

I’d love to know where the information for this rumour comes from. If individuals do indeed believe this, is it not taking presumptuousness to new levels?:thinking:

If being one of the ‘anointed’ (as in the WT definition of such), can’t be proven beyond doubt to those who don’t sense this blessing, is it something that should be declared or publicised at all? Shouldn’t it remain between Jehovah and the recipient? :confused:

Does this ‘anointing’ (WT definition) carry with it some special responsibility or obligation, now, at this time? Does it benefit anyone to hear individuals publicly declare they have received a special ‘anointing’? :dontknow:

I’m not being cynical or judgemental!

I really have no idea what the answers are. :confused:

Measurer.  

05-15-2007 03:38 PM
JWHVACR
Older Man

Yes, this is the ridiculous situation:

There are those who claim to be the anointed, but have no proof, just their say so.

Some of these claim to be "the faithful and discreet slave," yet the Bible shows that such a slave is not recognized until Jesus' "coming," (a future event).

And an entire religious organization is built upon these "proofs."

Where are the king's clothes?

05-15-2007 03:51 PM
John

YES.

The question is now, WHAT is a Christian? :read:

"For God loved the world so much..."
05-15-2007 05:02 PM
Mavos
The pluckiest Christian on the board.

There seems to be some misconception on what it means to be anointed.

The origin of anointing was a practice of shepherds. Lice and other insects would often get into the wool of sheep, and when they got near the sheep's head, they could burrow into the sheep's ears and kill the sheep. So, ancient shepherds poured oil on the sheep's head. this made the wool slippery, making it impossible for insects to get near the sheep's ears, because they would just slide off. From this, anointing became symbolic of blessing, protection, and empowering.

The New Testament Greek words for anoint is “chrio” which means “to smear or rub with oil, and by implication to consecrate for office or religious service” and “aleipho” which means “to anoint.” In Bible times, people were anointed with oil to signify God’s blessing or call on that person’s life (Exodus 29:7; Exodus 40:9; 2 Kings 9:6; Ecclesiastes 9:8; James 5:14). A person was anointed for a special purpose; to be a king, to be a prophet, to be an builder, etc. Another meaning for the word "anointed" is "chosen one." The Bible says that Jesus Christ was anointed by God with the Holy Spirit to spread the Good News and free those who have been held captive by sin (Luke 4:18-19, Acts 10:38). After Christ left the earth, He left us the gift of the Holy Spirit (John 14:16). Now all Christians are anointed, chosen for a specific purpose in furthering God's Kingdom (1 John 2:20, 27).

"Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and anointed us is God, who also has sealed us and given us the Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee" (2 Corinthians 1:21-22).

"Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God" (John 3:3)

"He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by His grace we would be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life."
(Titus 3:5-7)

"I remember two things: That I am a great sinner, and that Christ is a great Saviour." - John Newton
05-16-2007 10:56 AM
donbodo
Tell me that again...

The scripture brought up (2 Corinthians 1:21, 22) pretty much drives home the point that "anointed" is used more than one way: “The One who guarantees that we all belong to the Christ (and He who made us christs) is God.

Jesus was anointed by God, and then those who belong to the Anointed One, in turn were anointed.

The word is rather like the word "chosen," which can be used in many ways. The question is: what are we anointed or chosen for?

So yes, I agree that we should be careful about using the word as if it pertains only to one thing. On the other hand, I think most people use it to refer to the anointing of Christians to a heavenly kingship, which apart from Jesus' anointing, is the most commonly referenced anointing in the NT.

Quote:
There are those who claim to be the anointed, but have no proof, just their say so.

I don't think this need concern us.

"Learn the rule: 'Do not go beyond the things that are written,' in order that you may not be puffed up individually in favor of the one against the other" (1 Cor. 4:6).
05-16-2007 12:28 PM
PropMin
TheLeperKing

Quote:
I don't think this need concern us.

Looks like we agree (for once) Donbo.

Really the point of exactly "who is annointed" is moot, as:

John 21 NIV
20 "Peter turned and saw that the disciple whom Jesus loved was following them. (This was the one who had leaned back against Jesus at the supper and had said, "Lord, who is going to betray you?") 21 When Peter saw him, he asked, "Lord, what about him?"

22 Jesus answered, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me."

prop---we'll drive ourselves nuts if we try to figure out someone elses' hope---min

"When you stand before God you cannot say, "But I was told by others to do 'thus', or that 'virtue wasn't convenient at the time'", this will not suffice" - King Baldwin IV, 1184 A.D.

http://propmin.blogspot.com/
05-16-2007 04:50 PM

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this Thread | Add Thread to Favorites