Paradise Cafe Discussions - A Place For Bible Research And Christian Encouragement
Book of Enoch - Printable Version

+- Paradise Cafe Discussions - A Place For Bible Research And Christian Encouragement (http://www.paradisecafediscussions.net)
+-- Forum: Religions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Controversy Room (/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Book of Enoch (/showthread.php?tid=3699)

Book of Enoch - BruisedReed - 06-23-2008 11:07 AM

Hi all you dear ones ... :hibye::heartbeat::grouphug:

I was hoping for some input from those of you who may have done some research on the book of Enoch ...

Not the 'secrets of Enoch' nor the 2 one ... but just the 'book of Enoch' that Jude quoted from ... :read:

I have been doing some EXTENSIVE research on this ... and was hoping for some feedback or areas where CREDIBLE scholars and/or researchers could help me dig farther ...?

Thanks in advance for any input ... :giverose:

Luv ya's ... BR :sheepy: :bouncyhearts:

RE: Book of Enoch - Knight Of Faith - 06-23-2008 02:51 PM

Hey there BR :)

The book of Enoch; surely one of the most interesting of the extra-canonical books, not least because of the quotations of it in the New Testament.

There was a thread here about 1 Enoch:
http://www.paradisecafediscussions.net/showthread.php?tid=2986

Also here:
http://e-jehovahs-witnesses.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=246&mode=threaded&pid=3157

My personal opinion on 1Enoch is that it may indeed contain inspired material, but I suspect the book (as it has come down to us today) is embellished with lengthy interpolations.
It sure is a compelling read though, especially those first ten or so chapters..

Some scholars believe that the Genesis Apocryphon that was found amongst the Dead Sea Scrolls at Qumran may be related to the book of Enoch, but there's no consensus.
http://www.religiousstudies.uncc.edu/jcreeves/1qapgen.htm

Agape Johnny :heartbeat:

RE: Book of Enoch - Zelphael - 06-23-2008 09:41 PM

I adore 1 Enoch. In my opinion, totally, totally inspired and it's an atrocity that it is not in the main canons. Not without it's own redactions and insertions, of course, but the bible itself is far more full of those in terrifying quantity.

I am a firm believer in many non-canonical texts, especially older Jewish texts but also many wonderful books from the New Testament period including, yes, some of the Gnostic works. *hears the hissing from traditionalists*

I think that, fundamentally, the process of compiling the canon was a totally human process at the hands of the bishops of the early institutionalised church and, while I believe God cannot look upon sin and allows it to occur, I think there is the potential for human error to cause corruption in God's well-intended plans.

For me, discounting non-canonical texts as uninspired simply because they were not canonised is a form of idolatry centered on the bible itself (bibliolatry)... and watch out if any dare suggest the bible as it stands is not perfect, unedited and not the exact, direct word of God. :readthis:

The Spirit gives us discernment to test what we are reading. :coffeeread: There is an incredible amount of written works outside of the bible that I am deeply grieved most are not even aware of.

RE: Book of Enoch - BruisedReed - 06-23-2008 10:33 PM

Hi there jeronomy ... :hibye:;):P:whistle:

How's it going with you lately ... are you 'smiling' ... :D I hope so ...

Thank you so much for those links ... I have been super duper busy with housework today and doctor tomorrow ... but am planning on looking at them and seeing what I can learn ...

Hey Zelphael ... :hibye:

Thanks for your input as well ... I was surprised to learn that the book of John was considered 'gnostic' and almost didn't make it into the canon ... and that poor Jude had a hard time as well ... in and out ...

I have really been enjoying this research project ... I got at least three others in the process as well ... my brain is really going ... :funnyface: but it seems when you find one thing it leads you to another and there I go ...

I was asked once what I found to study ... :confused:

Now I'm thinking ... What isn't there? :dontknow:;)

Luv to all ... BR :sheepy: :bouncyhearts:

RE: Book of Enoch - Jeshurun - 06-24-2008 01:18 AM

Zelphael Wrote:
I adore 1 Enoch. In my opinion, totally, totally inspired and it's an atrocity that it is not in the main canons. Not without it's own redactions and insertions, of course, but the bible itself is far more full of those in terrifying quantity.

I am a firm believer in many non-canonical texts, especially older Jewish texts but also many wonderful books from the New Testament period including, yes, some of the Gnostic works. *hears the hissing from traditionalists*

I think that, fundamentally, the process of compiling the canon was a totally human process at the hands of the bishops of the early institutionalised church and, while I believe God cannot look upon sin and allows it to occur, I think there is the potential for human error to cause corruption in God's well-intended plans.

For me, discounting non-canonical texts as uninspired simply because they were not canonised is a form of idolatry centered on the bible itself (bibliolatry)... and watch out if any dare suggest the bible as it stands is not perfect, unedited and not the exact, direct word of God. :readthis:

The Spirit gives us discernment to test what we are reading. :coffeeread: There is an incredible amount of written works outside of the bible that I am deeply grieved most are not even aware of.

Zelph, I couldn't have said it better myself! :clap:

Thanks for bringing this up BR. No, I'm not a scholar and it's just my opinion, but Enoch contains a lot of information about Satan's underworld mob that they would rather not have included in the Bible's canon. If it was, I sure would have a lot more ammo for conspiracy arguments.:D

It's a very good thing for us all to realize that we cannot trust every word of the Bible as it is today, and that we may not even have the correct books in it as God, as it seems in our limited perception, would have wanted. But I believe that what will happen, in the end, is that all of this was according to our Father's grand plan, and because of His foresight and wisdom we will see that there was an ingenious purpose for allowing all this deception. And .....it's true, Bible worship really is a form of idolatry. :shocked:

:heartbeat:
Jesh

RE: Book of Enoch - Bangalore - 06-24-2008 10:21 AM

If anyone would like a copy of the Book Of Enoch,it is available at this link for download in PDF format.

http://christianelibrary.googlepages.com/schodde_enoch.pdf

Warm Christian Love
Bangalore