Paradise Cafe Discussions - A Place For Bible Research And Christian Encouragement

Full Version: 1 Corinthians 11:20-22
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
! Corinthians 11:20-22 reads (2001): "Now, when you meet together in one place, it isn’t to eat the Lord’s Supper, for, you’re all [bringing] your own meals to eat before you partake. So, who knows who’s still hungry and who’s already had too much to drink? Don’t you have houses where you can eat and drink? Or do you condemn the congregation of God and shame those who are poor?

"What should I say to you? Should I praise you? In this, I don’t praise you."

I wish that we knew the actual circumstances that Paul was writing about, but we don't. Sure, we can gather some clues from his admonition, but I still wonder.

However, verse 20 seems to indicate that the "Lord's Supper" was celebrated at every congregational meeting (like the Catholic Mass). What do you think?
Greetings JWHVACR

Reflecting on the value of our Lords shed blood/offering his life; I think of scripture describing yearly sacrifice...

Hebrews 9:24...

"For Christ did not go into a sanctuary made by human hands and just a copy of the true one, but into heaven itself, now to appear in God's presence on our behalf.
Nor did he go into heaven to sacrifice himself again and again, the way the high priest goes into the Holy Place every year with blood that is not his own.
Then he would have had to suffer repeatedly since the foundation of the world. But now, at the end of the ages, he has appeared once for all to remove sin by his sacrifice.
Indeed, just as people are appointed to die once and after that to be judged,
so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people. And he will appear a second time, not to deal with sin, but to bring salvation to those who eagerly wait for him."

Might the significance of this yearly sacrifice be diminished (seeminly, to some...) if it were to be performed more often (monthly/weekly/daily/whenever, etc)?

(I'm not saying I believe this was meant to be a carved in stone pattern to follow...it's just a thought)

gogh
Hi Gogh;

I agree that an annual celebration makes more sense scripturally. However, the wording in Corinthians makes me wonder what they were actually doing.

JWHVACR Wrote:
! Corinthians 11:20-22 reads (2001): "Now, when you meet together in one place, it isn’t to eat the Lord’s Supper, for, you’re all [bringing] your own meals to eat before you partake. So, who knows who’s still hungry and who’s already had too much to drink? Don’t you have houses where you can eat and drink? Or do you condemn the congregation of God and shame those who are poor?

"What should I say to you? Should I praise you? In this, I don’t praise you."

I wish that we knew the actual circumstances that Paul was writing about, but we don't. Sure, we can gather some clues from his admonition, but I still wonder.

However, verse 20 seems to indicate that the "Lord's Supper" was celebrated at every congregational meeting (like the Catholic Mass). What do you think?

JWHVACR,

Could it have something to do with eating and drinking with the drunkards?

Matthew 24:48
“But if ever that evil slave should say in his heart, ‘My master is delaying,’ 49 and should start to beat his fellow slaves and should eat and drink with the confirmed drunkards,

Hosea 9:4
They will not continue pouring out wine to Jehovah. And their sacrifices will not be gratifying to him; they are like the bread of times of mourning to them; all those eating it will defile themselves. For their bread is for their own soul; it will not come into the house of Jehovah.

In Christ

abe

ablebodiedman Wrote:
Could it have something to do with eating and drinking with the drunkards?

Well, Abe; bringing their meals along also had something to do with it. But the question is; whether they were partaking at every meeting or just once a year.

You know Jim, maybe it had to do with the times in which they lived and the certain persecution they were under. Perhaps they tried to make the most of every opportunity they had to keep the Lord's sacrificed flesh and blood close in mind and heart - constant reminders. Doing so would surely encourage them to keep their newborn faith alive, no matter what terrible consequences their being Christians brought upon them.

Just a sudden thought. :D

:peace:
Sounds reasonable, Willa.
to add on willa's thought.

somebody used to have the frontlet band for a reminder of the law.

I could see the more often we make memorial the more focused on Jesus we would be in general. And what his death and Life meant for us.
Hi all,
Personally, had I not once been a JW, I would never have thought the scriptures indicated a once a year celebration of the Lord's death.

I believe the early Christians celebrated Jesus death as regularly as once a week, like you indicated was a possibility at the outset, Jim.
regards
Derek
Hi Folks,

My guess is that the early Christians were keen to commemorate the covenant regularly out of a combination of enthusiasm and the need for mutual reinforcement of their faith by meeting together often to perform the ritual.

It might be that when Christianity became more academic, they concluded that the memorial was a new Passover, which was an annual event.

In my Catholic days, the Eucharist was celebrated in a special way every Sunday but it was available every day of the week for those who wanted it.

Regards,
Brendan.
I understand, and history weighs heavily in favor of a weekly celebration. But at the Witnesses point out; the date and the emblems all point toward an annual event.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with either view. While I tend toward annual, I suspect that 1st Century Christians partook a bit more frequently.

JWHVACR Wrote:
I understand, and history weighs heavily in favor of a weekly celebration. But at the Witnesses point out; the date and the emblems all point toward an annual event.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with either view. While I tend toward annual, I suspect that 1st Century Christians partook a bit more frequently.

JWHVACR,

The original passover immediately preceded the Israelites departure for the promised land.

The scriptures indicate that we have a future hope where this will once again happen.

Some will be taken along and others left behind.

Jesus Christs sacrifice happened on the annual passover.

There is therefore good reason to believe that the value of that sacrifice will be used for some to obtain that very similar future hope.

Will that future hope occur on an anniversary of the original passover date?

There are also many who believe that we are in a wilderness condition right now with the hope of entering that promised land.

Hosea 2:14
“‘Therefore here I am prevailing upon her, and I will cause her to go into the wilderness, and I will speak to her heart. 15 And I will give her her vineyards from then onward, and the low plain of A´chor as an entrance to hope; and she will certainly answer there as in the days of her youth and as in the day of her coming up out of the land of Egypt. 16 And it must occur in that day,’ is the utterance of Jehovah, ‘that you will call [me] My husband, and you will no longer call me My owner.’

Luke 17
34 I tell YOU, In that night two [men] will be in one bed; the one will be taken along, but the other will be abandoned. 35 There will be two [women] grinding at the same mill; the one will be taken along, but the other will be abandoned.” 36 —— 37 So in response they said to him: “Where, Lord?” He said to them: “Where the body is, there also the eagles will be gathered together.”

For this reason I do believe that the annual passover date holds great significance for the future event that is a direct result of Jesus Christs sacrifice.

When celebrating the lords evening meal this is what I memorialize.

In Christ

abe

Here are 2 verses to consider.

Acts 20:7
Now on the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul, ready to depart the next day, spoke to them and continued his message until midnight.

( Check out the words changed in the NWT )
7 On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to have a meal, Paul began discoursing to them, as he was going to depart the next day; and he prolonged his speech until midnight.

Klasia (to break ) Arton ( bread )

1 Cor 11
25 In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.”
26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death till He comes.

( I would ask is once a year often? )

BB:happyheart::heartbeat::happyheart:
Hi Wayne,
Once a year is certainly not "often".

It is all part of the process, intended or more likely unintended, that separated members of the WTS from their Lord and Master.

BethelBoy Wrote:

Now on the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul, ready to depart the next day, spoke to them and continued his message until midnight.

7 On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to have a meal, Paul began discoursing to them, as he was going to depart the next day; and he prolonged his speech until midnight.

1 Cor 11
25 In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.”
26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death till He comes.

I agree Derek, it's that gnostic slant " secret knowledge" surfacing in another area.

Wayne

Derek Wrote:
Hi Wayne,
Once a year is certainly not "often".

It is all part of the process, intended or more likely unintended, that separated members of the WTS from their Lord and Master.

BethelBoy Wrote:

1 Cor 11

Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's